It's a dirty job but someone's got to do it!

Get out those rubber gloves! Yes, most cleaning tasks are your own responsibility. But where do the bin bags go? We'll explain it all here.

Cleaning your own living spaces

You are responsible for cleaning your own living spaces. Of course we won't check whether you've done it or not. What we do check is whether you leave your room or studio in good condition when you move out.

Cleaning the communal areas

Within your houseshare or student accommodation, it is your responsibility to clean communal areas like the kitchen, living room, bathroom and garden amongst yourselves. It is up to you to make a plan. Whether you want to create a fair schedule or have the "new guy" do it all: it's up to you!

Cleaning the shared spaces

In the larger residential buildings, we take care of the shared spaces like hallways, entryways and lifts. The only thing you need to do is make sure you don't leave any rubbish or personal belongings in these shared spaces. Sounds doable, right?

Cleaning the windows

Cleaning the windows of your room or studio is your job; and that goes for both inside and out. With the exception of windows that are too high up or don't open, of course. Within your houseshare you're also meant to arrange cleaning the windows amongst yourselves.

We clean all the windows that you can't reach from inside your house. We also clean the windows of the shared spaces in residential buildings, for instance the access balconies to flats. 

Waste disposal

Wheelie bins for houseshares

Some houseshares will have their own wheelie bins in the garden. The grey one is meant for general rubbish, the green one for food remains and organic waste. Putting the bins out onto the pavement on time to be emptied by the garbage collectors is your own responsibility.

Find the waste collection schedule for your address here.

Residential buildings

Each building is different, but generally, the following ways to dispose of your waste will be available:

  • Bin bags: you can drop them into the underground waste container close to the building entrance. You can open it using your Cure Milieupas;
  • Paper: many buildings will have a designated letter box-like ‘paper slot' for waste paper. Other buildings have a large waste container for paper and cardboard standing nearby. 

Other waste

  • Bulky waste: you you can drop off large items at the municipal waste collection facility for free with your Cure Milieupas;
  • For plastic and glass waste, there'll often be designated containers available near shopping centres.